In the same block as Temple Sherith Israel, at the corner of Sacramento & Webster, is the Lane Library, built in 1912.
The library is currently known as the Health Sciences Library and affiliated with the adjacent California Pacific Medical Center. It began as part of the Cooper Medical School, which merged with Stanford University in 1908. It was endowed by a gift from Dr. Levi Cooper Lane, one of the founders of the Cooper School.
It was vacated in 1959 when Stanford moved the Medical School to Palo Alto. Then, in 1970, after some years as little more than a storage facility it was renovated and rededicated as a library for both the Medical Center and the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry. Today, it is a state of the art facility although little changed from its original design,